One of the numerous perks of going to a writing meeting may be the chance to network with literary agents and editors. Often, these connections were created by way of a “speed dating” process that’s comparable to events hosted for folks looking for a intimate partner. All in an effort to maximize the possibility of partnerships in a writing conference speed dating-style event, you’ll have ten minutes or so to chat with one literary agent before moving on to speak with the next agent, and so on. But how will you make a possible match with a literary representative in just a few momemts? The publishing matchmakers at Writer’s Relief involve some recommendations and methods which will help!
Techniques To Assist You Effectively Relate Genuinely To A Literary Agent
Professional Strategy # 1: Do Your Literary Agent Homework
Unlike the mystery present in speed dating for love, at a writing conference occasion, you’ll know in advance precisely whom you’ll be talking to. Be sure you peruse the set of agents you’ll be conference and then get right down to work.
- Research which genres and authors the agents represent and which books they’ve offered.
- When you have time, read one or more associated with the publications each representative represents.
- Have a look at their media that are social for up-to-date informative data on what they’re shopping for.
- Review your question page and synopsis to see in the event that you is going to make a good match.
Professional Strategy no. 2: Prepare Your Pitch
During the center of every writer/literary agent session can be your book’s “elevator pitch.” Hone your pitch as a cupid’s arrow that shoots directly to the literary agent’s heart!
- Describe the premise of the tale with regards to the genre, tone, primary figures, and main conflict in a fantastic and engaging method. […]